Friday 2 January 2015

A Talk with Country Star Doug Briney

dougWhat got you into country music?

Country music has always been my genre of choice.  My first album was Kenny Rogers, so even though I spent many years in ministry leading worship what I listened to and sang has always been country. Now what got me singing outside the church was a competition I entered for fun up in Alaska where I lived for 21 years.  It was with KBEAR 104.1 radio station and they were sponsoring a singing competition.  I enjoyed it so much I kept on doing it.


How has the response been for your first album “It’s All Country”?

It’s All Country was very well received.  It is an album I’m very proud of and thankful that I did it.  From industry and fans alike it was a great first move into recording.


What’s it like living in the heart of Country Music, Nashville Tennessee?

I’m constantly amazed here.  The level of talent that is here is incredible and truly second to nowhere.  I am still like a kid in a candy shop as I listen to others play and sing and then when I get to meet people I’ve looked up to and listened to for a long time it is simply mind blowing to me.


2083090Has the move helped produce better opportunity for your music?

Without a doubt.  Again just the level of people I’m playing with and learning from now has helped me tremendously.  This town is really a music town and the networking here is what makes it like no other place on earth.  Even with internet and social media, to be able to sit down face to face with folks who are in this industry and have been for a while can never be replaced or substituted no matter how hard you try.


Your new project “Super Country Cowboy” is really cool, can you tell us a bit about it?

Thank you!  SCC is a nine song album and I think the best way to describe it is to let you know every song on there has personal meaning to me, so it really is a sketch of who I am.  It really does cover a lot of range of emotion, from almost defiant in the song “I’m Up” to very reflective in “The Choices You Make”.  “Unknown Soldier” is a tribute to our men and women who have served in the military and then the title track “Super Country Cowboy” really does describe me as an artist.  One of my favorite songs on the album is the cover I did of Brooks and Dunn’s song, “Believe” I love the song and really enjoy performing it as well.  I always dedicate that song to Mr Basham who was my “Mr Wrigley.”


Where can we find copies of your work?

The easiest place is directly from my webpage at www.dougbriney.com from there you can buy the album directly from me, or follow the link right to my iTunes store as well.  I also have the links to all my social media there as well.



A Talk with Country Star Doug Briney