by: Ricky Lim
Communications skill is an important skill that you need to master if you want to advance the corporate ladder. It is almost important in maintaining your personal relationship with your family, friends etc
Here are 7 ways to improve your communication skills
1) Learn to listen. An important aspect of good communication is to be able to listen well. Do not attempt to make a conclusion unless after you have listened and understood what is being said.
2) Jump to conclusion. Do not jump to conclusion too soon based on what you have listened. Always try to listen to the other side of the coin so you can make the best judgement.
3) Take your time to respond. After you have listened and understood what is being said, take your time to think and draft in your head what you are going to say. Do not rush to respond.
4) Do not always think you are right. No one knows it all. Sometimes you may be wrong and it is perfectly ok. The important point is to accept it and listened to where you went wrong.
5) Train your mind to focus. Do not let your mind wander or daydream when you are talking or listening to someone. It can be disrespectful to the other party.
6) It is better to ask someone to repeat what they have just said than trying to guess what he/she is saying. If you do not catch what the other person is saying, it’s fine to ask them to repeat.
7) It is important to observe yourself when communicating to others. Observe your own body language. Do this in front of the mirror to practice.
Developing good communication skills is a life-long learning experience and will take time to develop. You may find you need communication coaches to help you if there is a need.