Saturday 23 August 2014

Three Things Which Cannot Be Hidden

Tell Yourself the Truth

by: Susan Russo


“Three things cannot be long hidden; the sun, the moon, and the truth.” -Buddha


Think of all of the excuses you’ve heard people tell themselves to avoid facing reality. People don’t exercise because they don’t have the time. They drink because they’re stressed. Children are neglected because the parents are too busy to take 5 minutes out of their days to give to them. And abused women win the prize for making up every excuse in the book about why they stay in abusive relationships.


When we deny what we truly want, i.e. a thinner body, a better relationship with whomever, a better job, less stress in our lives and eliminating or limiting negative habits we ultimately pay the penalty of not living a happier more balanced life.


The outcome: our bodies aren’t the way we want, our health suffers, our relationships are not what they could be, our financial situations are a struggle, etc. all because we can’t face reality and tell ourselves the truth.


If you really want to get out of debt, be less stressed, lose weight, if you want to stop smoking, stop fighting, be a more “present” parent or a better person in whatever area you feel needs the help, until you quit making excuses as to why you can’t; you will continue to have what you’ve got.


Admitting that there is an issue or a problem is always the first step in changing anything. Facing reality and getting real with yourself will allow you to have a new perspective on how all of your excuses are keeping you stuck. And sadly, we all make excuses about the things we most need to address.


But, unless you are willing to be totally honest with yourself you won’t change a thing.


Wouldn’t you love to live the life you’ve always wanted? If you begin to tell yourself the truth you will finally be able to do something about it. You can now decide whether or not you like your life the way it is or if you are going to choose a different course.


Look, we all have crutches that make it easier to get through life. But, it’s when these crutches begin to actually cripple us that we stay stuck in what can turn into miserable situations. And the longer we stay stuck the harder it is to change.


Don’t make your excuses start to become your reality. You’ve told yourself these lies for so long that you actually start to believe them. The real reality is we can live any way we want without the excuses.


Life without the excuses: I’m fat because I don’t exercise and I eat what I want. I’m stressed because I let life and all of its complications upset me. I don’t spend enough time nurturing my children because I simply don’t feel like it. I am in debt because I’m wasteful and don’t cut back in the many ways that I can. I drink because I like it regardless of how it makes me feel. I stay in abusive relationships because I don’t know my self worth or value myself and the list goes on and on.


If you really want to lose weight make the time to work out. If you’re stressed, learn stress management or meditate. If you are struggling financially; create a budget and adhere to it. If you don’t spend enough time with your children, find 5 minutes and give them your undivided attention. If you are in an abusive relationship, stop telling yourself its okay if someone treats you badly.


It’s up to you to either live your life allowing the excuses to make what you do (which you know you shouldn’t) bearable. Or, tell yourself the truth and know that the truth can set you free!


Source



The post Three Things Which Cannot Be Hidden appeared first on Robert JR Graham.